The Ever-Changing Google Algorithms.
SEO landscape has changed drastically over the past 2 years. These changes were to improve the quality of the website and at the same time enhance the user experience. The changes in the SEO landscape changed the lives of many webmasters left them reeling for improvements.
A quick recap of some big changes, which affected the SEO landscape in the last two years:
- The Panda Update: The Panda update was targeted against copied and low quality content. Google penalized a large number of websites that created low quality content or copied content from high ranking websites.
- The Penguin Update: After content, now the focus was on links. Post the Penguin update in April 2012, Google was now examining Links. Google penalized websites that were involved in any sort of ‘black hat link exchanging techniques’ and had ‘unnatural links’ pointing at the website.
- Over optimized site Penalty: This was one more side effect of Penguin update. The sites that used repetitive tags & title and websites that stuffed their content with keywords, noticed a drop in their search engine ranking.
Penguin and Panda are the most visible game-changers and have had a dramatic impact on SEO. Google can come up with any such algorithm update any time, so to avoid any trouble you must follow the best SEO practices.
Here are a few best SEO practices that can save your site from getting penalized:
- Collaboration of social and search: Search engines and social networking websites no more work in isolation. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Pinterest greatly impact search engine rankings. It’s a great idea to share blogs, articles, pictures and videos to fetch more likes and essentially attract new customers.
- Write for customers and not robots: People visit Google, Bing or any search engine for that matter, because they have a question to ask. You must be able to anticipate the questions and your content must address the answer to those questions. Keyword research is time consuming but it is definitely the most important part of SEO. Think like a customer and use keywords that you will want your customers to use.
- Focus on content: Good website content is going to be your savior. You can create a very effective long term SEO strategy by creating great content for your website and across other websites. Share guest blogs but to have an edge above your competitors, target blogs that are not directly related to your niche.
For more information about SEO content writing companies, check out our friends at Vanion Online Media.